Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Nocturnes

Arkhip Kuindzhi
Patches of Moonlight

Earlier I posted a color study that I have used for the painting, in which I am finishing up at the moment of the Headless Horseman. The painting is a "Nocturne" or a painting of a night scene, and is the second painting I have done like it. Painting a nocturne is quite different, and a bit more challenging for me. Rather than trying to create light , you are challenged with creating a lack thereof, which entails a lot of other techniques and methods. . This type of painting examines darkness and conditions near its edge. Creating far more unique compositions, nocturnes heavily rely on abstract elements in order to hold the picture together. For this reason, shapes and silhouettes play a big role , often times edges are softened, and the values in the painting are often close to one another. (When I say values I do not mean your personal values, or whether you not you believe in abortion, etc... Rather, I mean values in terms of light to dark. A number 1 value being the lightest and a 10 being the darkest value. ) The typical color palette for this type of painting is of course cool,limited, and moody.

As always I like to look to some other artists for information and inspiration. Above and below I have included a number of nocturnes that have been painted by various artist over time, all equally amazing!!
Enjoy!


Tsuchiya Koitsu
Maizuru Harbor at Night


N.C. Wyeth
The Black Spot

N.C. Wyeth
The Old Pew

N.C. Wyeth
The Treasure Cave

Frederic Remington
The Sentinel

Frederic Remington
The Old Stage-Coach of the Plains

Frederic Remington
The Hunters' Supper

James Abbot McNeil Whistler
Falling Rocket

Childe Hassam
Railway Crossing

Rembrandt
St. Paul at his Desk

Rembrandt
An old Usurer Examining a Coin

No comments: