Thursday, April 29, 2010

Unused Watercolors

Digging through some of my many piles and portfolio cases of art I came across a few of the many unused illustrations that I created for my book Norton B. Nice. These images were included in the original book dummy in which was chosen to be published, but were later omitted by the editor at the publishing company. After spending hours and hours creating new spreads these were forgotten, and are also not included in my self published edition of the book. The bottom image in this post (Original character study) was the first painting I created for the book. This painting was created at the kitchen table of a gite that I shared with my great friends Phil, Niki, Chris, and Carolyn on a trip to Fontainbleau, France back in 2005. So this painting also serves as a fond memory of one of the best times in my life. The original designs for the book were created during a children's book design class in which was taught by my great friend , teacher, and mentor Vladimir Shpitalnik.

Norton Detail

Unused Spread
Watercolor, 9"x11"

Original character study
Watercolor, 8.5"x11"

No comments: