Saturday, May 9, 2009

Mini thesis paintings

 The main body of my thesis project consists of 5, 24x48 acrylic panels that are impressions of the various people, places, and things I have encountered during my travels. In addition to the large paintings , the project will also include a series of 20 to 25  , small 5x5 inch , acrylic panels. Many of the small panels are based directly upon drawings from sketchbooks that I kept while I  was traveling. I also use these smaller paintings as a form of relaxation or as a break from the larger panels. When I reach a crisis point on one of the larger panels or need a break from it, I move on to work on some of the smaller ones . This gives me a nice feeling of freedom for some reason , I guess its because for some reason the smaller paintings feel like less of a commitment.  During my recent solo show at the Day One Skate Shop ,I actually received more compliments on the smaller pieces than the large ones. It seems, like people are really drawn to them and forced to get up close to them because of their smaller scale. Below are just a few of the mini paintings I have been working on, the rest are hanging at the Day One Skate Shop and  I have not had a chance to scan them yet.

Bangkok Tuk Tuk Driver
acrylic on panel
5x5 inches
French Cyclist
acrylic on panel
  5x7 inches
Hassip the Boat Driver
Acrylic  on panel
5x5 inches
Hassip takes flight
acrylic on panel
5x5 inches
Hassip attempts to land
acrylic on panel
5x5 inches

No comments: